Starting this week I am enrolled into CIS-663 Project Communications Management and Leadership at Bellevue University towards my goal of achieving a Masters Degree in Management Information Systems. This class is taught by Dr. Emad Rahim who is an amazing leader and a mentor. His is an amazing story that motivates and inspires people including me to dream big and not loose hope. His video "Against the Odds" is a testimony on how he was able to achieve his goals navigating through the difficult challenges life had to offer.
I have been working in the Information Technology field for the last 15 years in various disciplines like training, system administration, development, testing, support, project management etc. Based on the course objectives, I am fairly familiar with all the objectives at a high level as either I was responsible or was part of such tasks. Some that appear to be difficult are illustrating the various styles of leadership and formulating a set of best practices for effective project communication and leadership by reviewing various case studies.
I am doing this course to gain sufficient knowledge that I can use in my work place. I plan to become a systems architect and as part of the job duties, project management and leadership is one of the critical requirements. An architect will deal with multiple projects and he needs to be aware of the systems, be agile and communicate effectively and I believe this course definitely offers an insight into understanding these elements. I do not see these course objectives as crucial for my success, the more i learn the more knowledgeable I become in understanding these topics.
I am looking forward to this class and the objectives would help me gain sufficient knowledge about project management and leadership skills.