Sunday, January 18, 2015

CIS 663 - Project Communications Management and Leadership - Learning Journal - Mid Term

Before taking up this class, I had some exposure to project management at my work place and it was easy for me to relate the topics in this class with the real world scenarios. This course specifically focuses on communication and leadership techniques that should be used by project managers for effectively dealing with issues related to resources, stakeholders, global teams, and changing technology.

As per the course objectives, I feel I have achieved the following:


  1. Compare project leadership skills and project management skills and discuss their relation to each other.
  2. Assess various training and development methods utilized by organizations in the development and training of Project Managers.
  3. Illustrate the various styles of leadership – by type, role, and situation. 
  4. Evaluate the role of organizational culture on project leadership and communication
  5. Compare various methods for improving project communication and managing conflict
  6. Analyze a particular leadership style and communication style and develop an argument for or against that particular style.


The following objectives are yet to be accomplished as I am still in the process:


  1. Demonstrate how to build, lead, and communicate effectively with teams
  2. Formulate a set of best practices for effective project communication and leadership by reviewing various case studies.


So far I was able to clearly understand the qualities of a leader, creating partnerships between various teams (project manager, customers, contractors, management etc.), authority of control, conflict resolution, organization charts and their importance, different leadership styles and how they relate to each other. These topics  have helped me to gain perspective of some of the key qualities that need to be present in a leader. In terms of project management an effective leader is a key requirement to make sure the project progresses as planned and achieves the set goals. I am trying to influence myself with these qualities so that one day I too can take the responsibility and lead a team to success.

I am clear in my understanding of the topics covered so far and they have immensely helped me to achieve a level of confidence regarding project communications management and leadership topics. I look forward for an exiting second half where I would expect to learn more about leading a team successfully and about best practice recommendations through case studies.